ModPlug XMMS Plugin
- Future: Many new improvements planned, in the mean time please
suggest what you would like to see in the next version of libmodplug/modplug-xmms.
- Release: libmodplug is known to have an error in reading patterns in which there is no command, but an argument. (Reported by Juan Linietsky)
- 10 March 2014: libmodplug 0.8.8.5 [ tar.gz ]
- A very long time between the last release (although some occasional activity occured in git)
- The code is now in both the sourceforge git tree (as a full project), as well as github (only libmodplug): Here.
- Some security patches: CVE-2013-4233, CVE-2013-4234, as well as many fixes suggested by static analyzers: clang build-scan, and coverity.
- A few patches to ease compilation in windows environments, including a CMakeLists file.
- 7 August 2011: libmodplug 0.8.8.4 [ tar.gz ]
- Improve timidity.cfg parsing capability
- Add source command capability in timidity.cfg (useful for debian default)
- Fix integer overflow in WAV reader (SA45131/A)
- Fix S3M stack overflow possibility (SA45131/B)
- Bound seeking and reading in PAT files
- Fix AMS/AMSv2 and DSM too large by one (SA45131/C)
- Use structure in XM decoding (development related)
- Use bmpvalues in Octamed files when calcuting default tempo (Francis Russel)
- 2 April 2011: modplug-tools [ tar.gz ]
- Allow .wav output (-ao option)
- Support current + future libAO via correct init of ao_sample_format
- For full information see git log.
- 2 April 2011: libmodplug 0.8.8.2 [ tar.gz ]
- Improve compatibility with MSVC 2010
- Improve PTM playback (Fix byteswapping)
- Improve S3M support (ignore corrupted data)
- Improve AMF support (bounds checking)
- See git checkins for more information
- 3 August 2010: modplug-tools [ 0.5.1 tar.gz ]
- Modplug playing console tools - fixed showing filename in 41 characters when mod itself had no songname (possible buffer overrun)
- 27 May 2010: libmodplug 0.8.8.1 [ tar.gz ]
- Add check to make sure Stereo Separation/MixChannels cannot be 0.
- Increment soname due to structure change (addition of new config options)
- 11 April 2010: modplug-tools [ 0.5.0 tar.gz ]
- New package for console based modplug playing libraries
- New package (modplug123) which uses libao for modplug output
- Modplugplay still included - which uses OSS only interface
- 5 April 2010: libmodplug 0.8.8 [ tar.gz ]
- Fix 32 to 32 bit "downsampling" on 64bit platforms.
- Fix usage of bigendian in include files
- Fix PSM files on bigendian computers
- Allow configuration of Stereo Separation and MaxMixChannels
- Fix possible problem with misaligned data structure when converting to int32 (load_669)
(Developer only) update to new automake/autoconf.
- 27 April 2009: libmodplug 0.8.7 [ tar.gz ]
Fixed a bug in the AMF decoder, patches from several downstream sources including: Fix delete method in AMF, MDL (Fixing Novel Bug #443444), Fixed instrument name size (possible buffer overflow) - Cristian Morales Vega / Stanislav Brabec, Fixed 24/32 bit conversion routine (bit shifting bug) - Stanislav Brabec / David Binderman, Use tables.h in mod+s3m, Better MingW32 support.
- 20 April 2009: libmodplug 0.8.6 [ tar.gz ]
Release to fix integer boundary condition exploit, more clean up of code
- 14 April 2009: libmodplug 0.8.5 [ tar.gz ]
Release to improve cross platform support (Windows, Mac OS X), Bugs in ABC detection, small cleanups
- 2 November 2006: libmodplug 0.8.4 [ tar.gz ]
Security patch for CVE-2006-4192, adding support for ABC + MID files [Thanks for Peter Grootswagers]
- 10 August 2006: CVS only version of libmodplug 0.8.2 with support for ABC and MID files.
- 20 March 2006: libmodplug 0.8 [ tar.gz, src.rpm ]
Only libmodplug has been updated for release (modplug-xmms has some updates in CVS though)
- Changes thanks to Marco Trillo (Custom libmodplug project)
- Fixed endianness for S3M, FAR and Save functions for IT.
- Export functions have C API equivelents (if you undefine MODPLUG_NO_FILESAVE)
- More C API Functions for Volume, Setting, Instrument Information Getting/Setging.
- C Implementation of Convert 32->24 and 32->32.
- Changes thanks to Alistair John Strachan
- AGC/Clipping Provlem Fixed - via C implementation of X86_AGC.
- Increase Upper Limit of Frequency from 50k to 192kHz.
- 17 October 2003: ModPlug XMMS v2.05 [ tar.gz + tar.gz ]
NOTE: A major difference in source packaging has been done in this release - therefore packagers should be ware - BOTH libmodplug*.tar.gz and modplugxmms*.tar.gz are required.
The seperation was made due to quite a few programs+libraries making use of the libmodplug backend - which were unrelated to XMMS.
- Source seperation of libmodplug and modplugxmms.
- Registered DMF as a known mod file format extension. (thanks to Timo Jyrinki)
- UI updates in XMMS about dialogue.
- Fixed "zombie" processes created during archive usage.
- Fixed "clipping" in pre-amp part of modplugxmms (thanks Ben Saylor)
- Improved packaging of source tar balls.
- Improved autoconf/automake usage.
- Added pkgconfig pc file for libmodplug.
- Please see the modplugplay website for the latest version (including documentaion) of modplugplay - which is packaged with modplug-xmms in the source distribution.
- 10 May 2003: ModPlug XMMS v2.04 [ tar.gz ]
- Changes to autoconf/automake files so that they work using newer glibc (basically #define USE_NLS when needed)
- Start of a translation system for the gtk gui
- Removal of strstream C++ code (which is depricated) - replaced via stringstream. - This may cause problems for older compilers (if it becomes too much of a problem - then the simple C sprintf will be used instead.
- Inclusion of a small command line modplug player 'modplugplay' - Thanks to Gurkan Sengun (although there seems to be a similar project called modplugline - modplugline.sf.net).
- Spec file included in package (New RH8/9 RPMs prebuilt).
- 8 October 2002: ModPlug
XMMS v2.03 [tar.gz]
- Configure script included for simpler "workings"
- 21 July 2002: ModPlug XMMS v2.02 [.tar.gz]
- Proper fix for archive importing, .zip, .rar, .gz, .bz2 (should work on all compilers too)
- Patches for AMF decoding on Intel ARM
- Release of RPMs for both libmodplug and modplug-xmms for Redhat 7.x (others also if contributed) - see downloads below.
- 18 June 2002: ModPlug XMMS v2.01
- Modified to work with GCC 3
- 28th May 2002: New Maintainer - Konstanty Bialkowski
- 27 October 2001: ModPlug-XMMS v2.0 (including libmodplug v0.7)
- ModPlug rendering engine moved into a separate library -- libmodplug created.
- License changed to public domain.
- Endianness bugs fixed by Adam Goode. Should work better on PPC now.
What is ModPlug?
Olivier Lapicque, writer of ModPlug (the BEST mod-like music player out
there), sent me his mod rendering code, under the GPL, in early December.
Seeing as how the current version of ModPlug for Linux was rather outdated
and had no GUI, I took it upon myself to make ModPlug into an XMMS Plugin.
For those who don't know, XMMS is a music
player for Unix-like operating systems which resembles WinAmp, exept that it
I have only tested this version on Linux ix86, but I see no reason why
it shouldn't work on other OS's that support XMMS. So far it is known to
work on most, if not all 32-bit platforms.
What you need:
- libmodplug has no special requirements, however a front end is required in order to
play the output from it.
- XMMS (Required for Modplug-XMMS Plugin)
Note: XMMS often comes with MikMod. MikMod also plays MOD-like
file formats, causing a conflict with ModPlug-XMMS. You will have to
disable MikMod in the XMMS configuration if you want to use ModPlug.
Where to get it:
- The ModPlug-XMMS SourceForge page has all the info you need on
- Most users will probably be getting libmodplug from a downstream source, such as their linux distribution, or video/audio player. Some of these downstream video/audio players which use libmodplug include:
- UModPlayer - http://umodplayer.sourceforge.net/
- VideoLAN Client - http://videolan.org/
- PyModPlug - http://www.sacredchao.net/~piman/software/python.shtml#modplug
- Linux Users: libmodplug and ModPlug-XMMS are in most Linux distributions. Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo are all known to have these are standard packages
Here is a screenshot of ModPlug-XMMS in action, with all of its windows
open. screenshot (366k)
As with any open source project, if you make any changes to the code
which you think should be added, mail
Konstanty (The Maintainer).
The original maintainer
also contactable via email no longer actively develops modplugxmms, so please
don't send bug reports to this address.